What is the purpose of the hip replacement with a MicroPort Hip System? (Indications for use)
MicroPort Hip Systems relieve hip pain and improve hip function by replacing the parts of your hip that have been severely damaged by degenerative joint diseases. These diseases include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, traumatic arthritis, dysplasia, and avascular necrosis (bone death caused by poor blood supply to the area).
A MicroPort Hip System may also be used to correct a previous operation such as a previous fusion or hip replacement.
When should a hip replacement not be done? (Contraindications)
You should not receive a MicroPort Hip System if:
- You have an infection of the body or blood.
- Your bones are not yet fully grown.
- Your bones are not strong enough or healthy enough because:
- You have severe bone loss (osteoporosis) or have a family history of severe bone loss,
- You have any blood vessel-related disease, muscle related disease, or nerve- and muscle-related disease that may prevent the artificial hip joint device from remaining stable or that may prevent you from following instructions during the recovery period.
- You have a suppressed immune system due to diseases, such as AIDS, or are receiving high doses of corticosteroids.
- You are severely overweight.
What are the potential complications from hip replacement surgery?
As with any major surgical procedure, there are risks and recovery times. Potential adverse effects which may result from hip replacement include, but are not limited to the following: pain, bone or component fracture, blood vessel damage or blockage, temporary or permanent nerve damage, a sudden drop in blood pressure during surgery due to the use of bone cement, leg deformity, blood clots that can travel to your heart or lungs, delayed wound healing, and deep wound infection or accelerated wear of the prosthesis which may necessitate additional surgery. Your weight, age, and medical history determine your specific risks. Ask your doctor if hip replacement surgery is right for you.